The Department of Economics had its beginning right from the inception of the college itself in 1964, with the first batch of humanities. The Department became fully functional in 1968 when the college was upgraded to a senior institution. The first Principal Rev. Msgr. Peter Uralil, who was in charge of the Department, gave it the impetus to develop further. In 1968, with the starting of the BA Degree Programme in Economics, the full-fledged undergraduate Department of Economics came into existence with Rev. Dr Simon Kottoor as the HOD. So far, 50 Batches of undergraduate students passed out from this Department. The Department has a strong Alumni Association. The Department celebrated its golden jubilee initiated by the Economics Alumni Association. Several academic and non-academic programmes are conducted every year for the all-round development of our students. From 2011 onwards, the Department has been conducting a certificate course in Human Rights and Duties Education with the UGC sponsorship. From 2016 onwards, the Department began conducting PSC coaching for students of the college to equip them for competitive examinations. At present, Sri. Thomas K C, (HOD), Sri. Prince Joseph and Ms Haritha Ramesh (Guest) are the faculties serving in the Department.
BA Honours from University of Madras; Date of appointment: 01-05-1964; Appointed as first Principal in 1964; Principal ofÂ SD College Kanjirapally from 1974 to 1980; Retired from service on 31-03-1981
MA in Economics from Kerala University; P.hD from Calicut University; Specialised in agriculture economics; AppointedÂ on 21-07-1964; Retired from service on 31-03-1992
MA EconomicsÂ From Kerala University; Appointed on 17-07-1971; Retired from service on 31-03-2002
MA from Jabalpur University; M.Phil from Cochin University; P.hDÂ from Cochin University; Specialised in Industrial Economics; Appointed on 16-09-1974; Retired from Service on 31-03-2005
MA inÂ Economics from Jiwaji UniversityÂ Gwalior;Â Retired from Service on 26-04-2006
MA in Economics from Kerala University; Appointed on 11-10-1982; Retired from service on 31-03-2008
MA from Kerala University; Appointed on 03-01-1979; Retired from Service onÂ 31-03-2009
MA from Kerala University; Appointed on 17-10-1980; Retired from Service on31-05-2012
1. Amal Binu Of BA Economics Semester VI elected as chairman of college union 2019-2020
2. Parvathy Shankar of BA economics semester VI elected as Vice Chairperson of the college union
3. Nevil T Saji, semester I, Department of Economics, won gold medal in Kerala state senior men Kurash Championship 2019-20
4. Athira G II year student won III rd price in Golden Jubilee essay competition
1. Sri. Thomas K C awarded the best organiser of State level Model Parliament competition conducted by Government of Kerala
1. State Level Webinar on Covid-19: Economic Impact conducted on 11-08-2020. Dr. Jomon Mathew (Assistant Professor, University College Thiruvananthapuram) and Dr.C Pradeep( Director, Core Matrics Technologies Thiruvananthapuram ) were the resource persons.
2. National Level Paper Presentation Competition conducted for College Students in association with Research cell and IQAC on 06-11-2020.
3. PSC Coaching for Students to equip competitive examinations.
4. The Economics association was inaugurated by Dr. Rajesh K, Assistant Professor, Department of Business Administration and Management, Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies on 16-07-2021.
5. As part of SAVIEZZA , a webinar was conducted on the topic "Roadmap of Career Options in Economics" on 21-07-2021. Dr. K P Vipin Chandran , Asst.Professor of Economics , KMM Women's Government College, Kannur was the resource person.
6. Organized Human Rights Day Celebrations on 10th Dec 2021. Various activities like Poster making competitions, awareness campaign , literacy survey, surprise quizzes and flash mobs were conducted.
7. Invited talk on " Protection of Human Rights in India : Constitutional Perspective ". A webinar was held on 30-10-2021 via google meet . Sri. Renjith V T , Asst.Professor, School of Distance Education, University of Calicut was the resource person.
8. Environment day was observed on June 5th 2021. The day was observed by planting saplings near the home by students and faculty. Many activities were conducted and students participated expressing their solidarity with the Int'l day.
9. A State level Inter-Collegiate essay competition was held on 2nd February 2022 in connection with World Wetlands Day. The topic of essay was "Future of wetlands in kerala in the context of recent developmental projects.
10. A Reading competition was held for third and fifth semester students on 07-07-2021. The task included reading novel, short-essay or article in malayalam literature of students choice and submit brief note on what they read.
11. An online movie quiz competition was conducted on 03 August 2021 and prizes were given to the winners.
12. Rahul Mohanan of 3rd BA Economics sponsored a wheelchair for physically disabled students on 7th March 2022.
13. A paper presentation competition titled QUAESITIO was conducted on 23rd March 2022 as part of National Conference organised by research cell, IQAC and PTA of St.Stephen's College, Uzhavoor. Sri.Binish Balan (Dr.Philos, Research scholar, University of Oslo) was the resource person.
14. The valedictory function of the Economics Association (2020-21) and farewell function for BA Economics batch (2019-22) titled "JAVOO" 2022 was held on May 20th 2022.
1. Association inauguration and freshers day on 26th July 2019
2. Orientation on research methodology
3. Panel discussion on Industrial investment in Kerala opportunities and challenges on 16th December 2019
4. Golden Jubilee valedictory ceremony of the department on 3rd January 2020
5. PSC Coaching for Students to equip competitive examinations