About the Department
The department of physical education, one of the first departments started with the establishment of St.Stephens college, Uzhavoor in 1964. Since its inception the department has flourished by contributing immensely for the promotion of sports and games.
The former faculty members of the department were Prof P J Sebastian, Prof. O A Chacko, Prof. Kurian Luckose, Prof M S Thomas, Dr. Raju G Kannattu and Dr. Benny Kuriakose is currently serving the department as its HOD. As regular activity the department pays due attention in bringing out the best talents in students by organizing coaching camps for various sports and games throughout the academic year.
From 1988 onwards the department regularly conducts Bishop Tharayil Memorial All Kerala Inter Collegiate Volleyball Tournament for men and Sr. Goretti Memorial All Kerala Inter Collegiate Volleyball tournament for women. Since 2004 onwards the department has been organizing Bishop Kunnacherry Sacerdotal Golden Jubilee Memorial football tournament for men. In 2013 the department started the Golden Jubilee Memorial Shuttle Badminton tournament for men.
As a part of its extension activities the department regularly conducts Panchayat, Block and University level tournaments.
For encouraging sports and molding future talents the department conducts summer coaching camps for school students of Uzhavoor and nearby Panchayats. The practice session organized by the department for the differently abled is an attempt of the department to reach out to the marginalized. The department also offers training for the girls students of the college in cycling.
Sri S A Madhu,Sri S Vinod, Sri. Kunjumon P K (volleyball), Sri Bimin K P, Sri James K J, Sri Jose Mathew (athletics), Sri Manoj Sunny, Sanal Sunny (shooting) and Jewel Mary John (kick boxing) are the contributions of the department at the national level. The department has produced a host of state and university level players in various sports and games.
With the introduction of the choice based Credit and Semester system the department offers an open course in physical education, which is generally preferred by the students and as a part of their assignment the students of the open course demonstrated cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) training for the entire students of the college. They also calculated the Body Mass Index (BMI) of the whole college.
To serve the sports aspirants better a multipurpose indoor stadium is under construction. The department also plans to setup a sports hostel by the next academic year.
Former Faculty Members
1. Prof P J Sebastian
2. Prof. O A Chacko
3. Prof. Kurian Luckose
4. Prof M S Thomas
5. Dr. Raju G Kannattu
6. Dr. Benny Kuriakose
- Organizes intercollegiate competitions
- Organizes university camps
- Acts as official in competitions
- Serves as selector of various university Teams
- Participates in intercollegiate competitions
- Serves as expert for the selection of Sub Inspector of Police, Police Constable, Forest Guard, Excise Guard.etc
- University Examination Vigilance Squad Member
- Serves as manager of M.G. University teams for interuniversity competitions
- Setting up of college teams
- Organizes coaching camps for college teams
- Organizes fitness & Leisure activities for all staff and students
- Lectures for open courseÂ in Physical Education
- Escorts College teams as manager for various competitions
- Organizes summer coaching camps for school students
- Cycle riding training for girl students of the college
- 200 meter Track
- Clay court for Volleyball, Kabaddi Lawn Tennis, Ball Badminton, Foot Ball and Basket Ball
- Fitness Center with Power lifting Set
- Multipurpose Auditorium for activities like Table Tennis, Shuttle Badminton, Yoga, Wrestling, Judo etc
- Facilities for Cycling
ï¿½Physical, health and Life skills educationï¿½Â for 5th Semester students
- Physical Education and Physical Fitness
- Health concepts of Physical Education
- Nutrition and Health
- Safety Education and Health Promotion
- Sports and life skills Education
||LEVEL OF ACTIVITY
||DETAILS OF TEAM/ STUDENT
||Mahatma Gandhi University Inter Zone
||Jose Paily, B. Com Semester II
||State Inter Collegiate Held at TKM Engg. College
||College football team
|Football||St. Stephen's College Uzhavoor||Second Prize||College football team|