ACADEMIC YEAR 2019- 2020
- On 6th June 2019, the Department in association with CEERD planted a tree as part of World Environment Day.
- On 06/06/2019, Students of I M.Com students organized farewell for II M.com Students.
- Subject updating seminar by III B.com students was held on 27th June 2019 on the topic Online ‘Food Delivery Apps’ and ‘Circular Economy’.
- On 27/09/2019, Students who completed the course in MS Excel was given certificates by Mr.Anish K Avirah, Microsoft head, South Kerala and Director of Enbridge Institute Of Management And Technology. Dr Stephen Mathew has received an award for outstanding Academic contributions by ENBRIDGE.
- On 28/06 /2019 Inter departmental penalty shootout was held. All the departments participated and Physics Department won the cup.
- A Motivational talk by Mr. Vijesh M.V, Analyst, Ernst & Young and Alumni (2011-14 Batch) of this department was arranged for the students on 28th June 2019.
- n 5th July 2019, ‘Live Budget Analysis’ for PG Students was conducted by Sri. CA Kurian V John.
- An Orientation programme on ‘Insurance Awareness’ by Kottayam Insurance Institute was arranged on 5th July 2019 for the students . Mr. M.V Thomas – Vice Chairman, Mr. M.J Varghese – Council Member and Ms Latha – Secretary of the Institute lead the session.
- On 15/07/2019, Subject updating seminar by II B.Com was held on the topic ‘Union Budget Analysis’.
- Association inauguration and welcome to freshers was held on 26/07/2019. Ms.CA. Deepa Varghese, Chairperson, EKM Branch of South Indian Chartered Accountant Student’s Association inaugurated the event. During the programme, the department honored Ms. Divya Vinod of M.Com (2017-2019 Batch) by giving memento for clearing UGC NET June 2019.
- Certificate course in Microsoft Excel for II B.Com students was organized by the department in association with ENBRIDGE institute of management & Technology. 49 students successfully completed the certificate course.
- The department organized a Five day Short Term course on ‘Data analysis & Academic writing in social science’ from 6th August 2019 to 10th August 2019. The Short Term course was inaugurated by Dr Prakash Kumar B , DCDC, MG University. Dr Ramesh B Nair,Joint Director (Rtd), Statistics and Planning department, Rubber Board Kottayam And Sri Jasumideen S, Librarian, St Stephen’s College, Kottayam were the resource persons. Teachers from various colleges in Kerala participated in the workshop.
- On 19/08/2019, Dr. Stephy Thomas, Vice Principal & Assistant Professor in Statistics in BCM College took class on ‘Data Analysis’ for II M.Com students.
- On 20/08/ 2019 State level M.com Project Presentation Competition was held. M.Com students from various colleges participated and presented their projects. Dr. Antony Joseph K, SB College Changanacherry, Dr. Bino Thomas , Government College Nattakam, CA. Kurian V John judged the competition.
- On 2/09/2019, Freshers day for 1st M.com was organized by II M.com students.
- Onam Celebration was held on 6th September 2019. The students of the department actively participated in all the events and they won prizes in various individual and group events.
- Bridge Course in ‘Fundamentals of Accounting’ for I B.Com Students was started on 18th September 2019. Ms. Christy Chacko, Faculty member is handling the sessions.
- A class was arranged on ‘online trading’ for II B.Com students on 20th September 2019. Sri. Baiju Joseph of Sharekhan Pvt. Ltd. was the resource person.
- Subject updating seminar by II M.Com students on the topic ‘Mergers and Acquisitions’ in the banking sector was held on 24/09/2019.
- One day state level seminar on ‘Academic Publishing In Social Science’ was organized by the department on 27th September 2019 – DR. S. Kevin( Former Pro Vice Chancellor, Kerala University) was the key resource person.
- Certificate course in Insurance for the students of department commenced.
- Commerce Alumni Meet was held on 02nd October 2019. Prof. Jose Thomas, Principal inaugurated the event. Former Faculties and former students actively participated.
- On 03/10/2019, A Class was arranged on ‘Waste Management And Organic Farming’ for III B.Com students. Sri. Babu Parambath, Director & Project Co-ordinator, Niravu, Calicut was the resource person.
- On 15/10/2019, One day workshop on ‘Accounting Standards’ was organized for I M.Com students and teachers of various colleges.CA. Kurian V. John was the resource person.
- Students from our department offered noon meal once in every month to Akashaparavagal as part of extension activity of the department.
- Arnold Joseph II M.Com won Bronze Medal in M.G. University Judo Championship
- Career Guidance Program in association with Career Cell, for III B.Com students.
- Career Guidance Class by TIME by Mr. Jithin Mathew and Jibin K Jayan.
- Subject updating seminar by I M.Com on the topic privatization, Release of Bulls Eye Vol.IX.
- Half day seminar on GST law Registration & Renews @ 1.30 pm in Seminar Hall. (Full Students). Resource person – Binish T. Commerce Academy.
- Career Guidance class for IIIrd B.Com students by Sony Dominic & Rahul Raveendran from AEP Finance School
- Career Guidance class for IIIrd B.Com students Resource Person Athira N.M by Level III on CIA, PGP, LTB, PGSM
- Career Guidance class for IIIrd B.Com students Resource person Akhil Retnakumar by Logic School of Management.
- II M.Com Students on Tour to Goa –Dandeli
- Career Guidance class for IIIrd B.Com students by Eminent Unique Institute of Management. Resource Person Athul M.P.
- Career Guidance class for IIIrd B.Com students by Learn IT Academy on Tally, GST & SAP. Resource persons Chitra, Renuka & Sruthy
- Grow the leader in you (Leaders Training Program) by Commerce Association. Resource Person: Ms. Anusha Shanty
- Industrial Visit for II B.Com Students.
- Commerce Fest La Caza Inaugurated by Commerce Alumni President Sri. Jose Chandy
- 10th Silver Jubilee Vechire Series, Dr. Santhosh Mathew from Pondicherry University, on topic : WTO, International Trade & South Asia
ACADEMIC YEAR 2017-2018
- UGC-NET coaching November Batch for students in and outside the college commenced on 03/05/2017. The classes are conducted during weekends and holidays.
- On 21st June 2017, A session on CAT, MAT and GMAT was taken by Mr. Alexander from Career Launcher, Kottayam for II and III rd year Degree students.
- On 6th July 2017, The Department has honoured Ms Rejitha Mohan who secured First Rank in MG University B.Com Computer Application. Adv Mons Joseph presented the Momento. Uzhavoor Forane Vicar Rev Fr.Thomas Pralel, Bursar Fr. Jose Thekunilkunnathil, Principal Dr. Shiney Baby were also present.
- On 13th July 2017, III year students were given and E-Library Orientation by Sri. Jasimudeen S, College Librarian.
- On 25th July 2017, As part of the Extension Activity, the department organised a session on the topic “An overview of GST With Special attention to small scale Traders” in association with ICAI Ernakulam Chapter and Kerala Vyapari Vyavasayi Ekopana Samathi, Kuravilangad Unit. The session was handled by CA Cyrjoe V.J, FCA. More than 50 merchants in and around Kuravilangad participated .
- On 11th August 2017 A session for M.Com Students was held on the topic “International Tax” by Sri. Mathew Kunnassery, MBT CPA, Senior Manager , International Tax, United Health Group, USA.
- On 19th August 2017, the department conducted an Industrial Visit for II Year B.Com Students in Association with the ED Club. The students along with faculty members visited Kitex Limited at Kizhakambalam, Ernakulam. The students were also taken for a ride on Kochi Metro Rail which was recently inaugurated.
- n 23rd August 2017, An orientation on CMA and CPA for III year Students and an Orientation on New CA Curriculum for Ist Year students was taken by Logic School of Management Ernakulam.
- Association Inauguration and Fresher’s day was held on 25th August 2017. Dr. Francis Cherunilam, HOD of Management Studies, Viswajyothi College, Vazhakulam inaugurated the event.
- 9th Silver Jubilee Lecture Series was held on 25th August 2017. Dr. Francis Cherunilam, HOD of Management Studies,Viswajyothi College, Vazhakulam spoke on the topic “ India – An Emerging Economy”.
- Onam Celeberation was held on 30th August 2017, the students of the department actively participated in and won prizes in various events.
- First year B.com Students were given an Entrepreneurship awareness programme organised by the Entrepreneurship Club. The resource person was Sri. Lawrence Mathew, Industrial Development Officer, Lalam Block on 19th September 2017.
- Commerce Alumni Meet was held on 02nd October 2017. Former HOD Prof. John Mathew inaugurated the event. Former Faculties and around 100 alumni participated.
- Two day Workshop on Research Methodology for III Sem P.G Students was conducted on 04/10/2017 and 13/10 /2017. Dr. Santhimol M.C, Assistant Professor, T.M Jacob Memorial Government College Manimalakunnu handled the session. 28 M.Com Students from Mar Augustinous College, Ramapuram also participated in the workshop.
- II year M.com students Tour to Goa- Bangalore from 17/10/2017 to 22/10/2017
- Ist M.com freshers day on 30/10/2017
- On 10/11/2017, a workshop for II year B.com Students on “Online Trading” by Sri Baiju Joseph, Sharekhan Pvt Ltd
- On 29/11/2017- 2/12/2017, III Year B.com Students went for a tour to COORG-Shimog-UDUPI
- PTA meeting for Ist year B.com students was held on 4/12/2017
- On 4/12/2017, Contest for Best Manager 2017-18 was organised by Global Institute of Integral Management, Ernakulam.
- On 7/12/2017, A class on Certified Management Accountant (India) for Final year students by Mr.Benoy Varghese (Director) from Academy for future Professionals(AFP), Tiruvalla.
- A class on GST for final year students by CA Naison Louis, Partner- Naison Louis & Associates was held on 7/12/2017
- A class on Supply Chain Management by Mr. Sanish Sharma ,Institute for supply chain management (an affiliate of ISM-USA) on 11/12/2017 for final year students
- A class on Certified Internal Auditor & Certified Financial Analyst by Mr. Anil Kumar M T, Level 3, School of Management, Tripunithara on 11/12/2017 for final year students
- Inter Departmental Penality Shoot out by commerce Association was held on 15/12/2017- a flash mob was also conducted by II year B.com Students. English Association won the trophy
- On 5/1/2018, a class on CA, CS, ACCA, CMA by Mr. Nithin K Jose, Senior Marketing Executive, LAkshya CA Academy for final year students was held.
- A Half Day seminar on Basics of Insurance by Smt Manju Joseph, Senior Manager LIC was organised in Association with Institute of Insurance Kottayam Branch for Ist year students
- On 23/01/2018, Half day Seminar on “ Derivatives” organised by Department and ShareKhan Limited: Technical Session I – ‘ An Overview of present Derivatives market” by Ajit Rao, Regional Manager, Sharekhan Ltd. Technical Session II-“Practical Applications on Derivatives” by Mr. Thomas Mathew, CFA,CMA,ACMA-Partner, FM Academy
- On 31/01/2018, an orientation programme for II , III And PG classes by ASAP Asst Programme Manager Ms Veena V, DPM Unit ASAP, Kottayam
- On 01/02/2018, Live Union Budget Session 2018 and Discussion for II year PG students was held
- A session on SAP by Mr. Sreejith Raj, Public Relations Officer from Accountants Service Society for final year students on 6/12/2018
- Interdepartmental Quiz competition was organised by the Association on 20/2/18. Dr Ajith James Jose, SB college Changanacherry was the quiz master.Physics Association won the first prize
- Commerce Association valedictory function was organised on 7/3/2018. Dr Antony Thomas, Principal,K E College Mannanam was the Cheif Guest. During the meeting, the A+ and A holders were honoured
- Bulles Eye Vol II was also released
- Farewell for final year students was also held
- Classes for II year students were taken by Sri. CA Kurian V John for taking up NISM Series VIII Equity Derivatives Certification Examination from 9/3/2018 to 17/3/3018.
ACADEMIC YEAR 2015-2016
- 17/06/2015– Department of commerce organized a career guidance programme for B.Com final year students with the collaboration of pearl CA college, Ernakulam.
- 26/06/2015– Department of commerce introduced cultural fiesta for the development of extracurricular skills of students. First cultural fiesta inaugurated by Rtd. Prof. Joy Muprapallil, and secure first place by third year B.Com.
- 08/07/2015– A session about marketing management taken by Mr. Anoop Iype, marketing manager, Oman Industry, for second year B.com computer application students.
- 24/07/2015– Subject updating seminar conducted by students.
- 31/07/2015– second cultural fiesta inaugurated by our principal Dr. Francis Cyrac C. and first prise won by second year B.Com finance and taxation students.
- 31/07/2015– Green accounting poster exhibition conducted by M.Com students.
- 20/08/2015– classes taken by prof. Alex Tharayil, on the topic “valuation of property” for all B.Com and M.Com students.
- 20/08/2015– publication of Bulls Eye (in-house publication).
- 21/08/2015– onam celebration.
- CPT orientation classes taken for various colleges, schools in collaboration with Pearls CA College, Ernakulam.
- 03/09/2015 to 04/09/2015– Personality development and career orientation classes taken by Disha Mentors organized by career cell and department of commerce for all first year students.
- 07/09/2015– career guidance classes by German faculty of Pearls CA College, Ernakulum for fifth semester B.Com students.
- 01/12/2015– career guidance classes have taken by Vidya Bharathi Educational group, Ernakulum for final year B.Com students.
- 02/12/2015—Capital Market awareness class has taken for second year B.Com students by Share Khan Ltd.
- 04/12/2015—inter departmental Penalty Shoot-Out Competition. This competition was inaugurated by M.S. Thomas, Former HOD of Physical Education Department, St.Stephen’s college. First prize secured by Department of Zoology.
- 03/02/2016—Department of commerce organized UGC sponsored State level seminar on “Financial Derivatives Recent Trends and Prospects”. This state level seminar was inaugurated by Hon. Dr. Dileep Kumar C.A.
- 17/02/2016—Vishwajyothi College, Vazhakulam, conducted a workshop on Excellence in Interview and Group Discussion for third year B.Com students.
- 14/03/2016—Jubilee memorial lecture series on the topic “Commerce- Problems and Prospects, taken by Dr. Rajagopalan Nair, from Albertan Institute of Management.
Acadmic Year 2014-15
The department has organised various programmes this academic Year;
- Carrer guidance class by UNIQUE institute of management , Cochin on the topic ‘Eminent Unique’ on 28th january 2015
- Carrer guidance class on ‘Aspiring for a global career‘ for S6 B.com students by SCM HUB, Infopark, Kakanad on 22th January 2015
- The Students of Semester 4 B.com had their christmas celebration on 18th December at Seenai-Special school and daycare for differently abled Children
- Various career guidance classes were also conduted for 6th semester B.com Students by Logic School of Managemnt Palarivattom,Cochin,Vidya Bharathi group of institutions Kalamassery,happy valley Business School in the month of December
- NET Coaching classes Commenced on 15th November 2014.Classes are handled by eminent faculties from different parts of the state having experience and expertise in NET coaching
- A work shop on research methodology for PG students was conducted on 16th October 2014
UGC sponsored National seminar
The department is also proud to organise two dayUGC sponsered National seminar on “Corporate Governance in India- Issues and Concerns” on 28th & 29th August 2014. 55 delegatesfrom other colleges and Universities participated in this seminar and more than 30 research papers were presented. Active involvement of delegates from Pondicherry Central University, Mysore University and Bharathiar University made the seminar more attractive.
The Seminar was inaugurated by Sri Thomas Chazhikadan FCA,EX MLA & Chairman,Kerala Shops and Commercial establishment Workers welfare board .THe Academic Sesssions were handled by Dr Gabreil Simon Thattil( Professor,University of Kerala),Dr Santhosh Kumar S( Asso Professor, St Peters College, Kolenchery).Dr Thomas T.P(Asso Professor, SH College, Thevara)
A Group Photo With the delegates
Validectory Session:DR R Vijayakumar((DCDC,MG University)delivered the validectory address
Sixth Silver Jubilee Lecture Series
The Sixth Silver Jubilee Lecture Series was conducted on 25th July, 2014 on the topic “Developing Competencies for Corporate World” by Dr.MG Jomon, Associate Dean, Corporate Programs, XLRI
The association activies for the current year was inaugurated by the college Vice Principal, Dr Mercy Philip on 5th september 2014. The inauguration was followed by the freshers day celebrations . The first years were given a warm welcome by IInd & III rd years by organising variety of competitions and cultural events. Teachers day was also celebrated on the same day
Acadmic Year 2013-14
Commerce association activities for the year initiated with an inauguration by college bursar Fr.Prince Thayipurayidathil on 2nd august 2013.Following the inauguration,the new members were given a very warm welcome to the commerce family by means of candle ceremony.Various cultural programs by the students added flavor to the inaugural program.Various competitions were also conducted for fresh students on this occasion.
College level onam celebrations were held on 13th sep 2013.Our association bagged many prices including:
Atha pookalam-1st prize
Malayalimanka-2nd prize(Haritha H Nair)
Subject updation seminars on commerce relevant topics like devaluation of Indian rupee,bitcoins,annual budget were conducted by 3rd year,2nd year and 1st year respectively.As part of subject updation seminar,Devadathan V.N. and Bibin P.C. of S6 conducted an exclusive interview with Dr.Thomas Issac at Kottackal,Malappuram on 30th august 2013.
Danny Stephen of S4 has been selected as “Kalaprathiba“ at districtlevel.He won 1st prize in painting competition conducted by Human Rights and Duties org.He won 1st prize in poster designing competition conducted by physics dept. and 2nd prize in competition conducted by Anti-Narcotic cell.He also won many prizes in various competitions held in and outside the college.
Teachers Day was celebrated in our dept. on oct 5th 2013.Teachers recollected their sweet memories on this day and shared their experiences with students.Many cultural events were also organized.
It must be mentioned here that the young guns of our dept. have been equally active in the inter-college arena,frequently bringing honour and glory to our commerce association and relentlessly striving for excellence.Our students participated in commerce fests conducted by Devamatha college,S.B. college,K.E. college,St.Xavier’s college etc.
X’Mas celebration of the college was conducted on 19th Dec.2013.X’Mas celebration also witnessed the excellence of our students as we won:
1st prize in Tablo
1st prize in Group Song
3rd prize in SantaClaus(Vijesh M.V.)
On 2nd January 2014 5th Silver Jubilee Lecture series by Dr.C.T.Abraham was conducted on topic “Management Mantra beyond Books”.A class on “financial planning” by Amod Mathew was conducted on 6th December 2012.
On 26th feb 2014,a quiz competition was conducted among classes of our dept.2nd year B.com and 2nd year M.com won 1st and 2nd prizes respectively.
Tony Simon of S6 and Anu Chacko of M4 won 2nd prize in music competition conducted by Economics association. Haritha H Nair of S2 was selected as Miss.St.Stephen’s as part of the Women’s Day celebration conducted in college.Chithu Mohanakumar of S2 won the 2nd Runner-Up position in same contest.
Inauguration of the Computer lab of P.G Department of Commerce
Inauguration of the Computer lab of P.G Department of Commerce done by Adv. Joy Abraham M.P on 29-10-2013.
Very Rev. Msgr.Fr. Mathew Elappanickal, College Manager Rev. Fr. Alex Akkapparambil, Adv. Mons Joseph MLA, Principal Dr. Francis Cyriac E., Vice-Principal & HOD of Commerce Dr. V.S. Jose, Staff-Secretary Prof. E.A.Alexander, Prof. Jose Varghese, Prof. K.C. Abraham were on the dais.